Department of Studies in Microbiology, Karnataka State Open University, Mukthagangothri, Mysuru-570006 proposes to conduct MSc Microbiology programme as per UGC regulations. The course is designed to train individuals to function as Microbiologists at clinical laboratories and scientific research institutes and other microbiology related job opportunities including teaching and research. Microbiology has grown leaps and bounds widening its horizons and opening new frontiers of knowledge. The scope of microbiology as a subject is immense due to its ability to control all critical points of many fields like medical, dairy, pharmaceutical, industrial, clinical, research, water industry, agriculture, nanotechnology, etc. A career in microbiology is lucrative option and trained microbiologists are in demand in a vast range of industries and institutes like research and development laboratories of government and private hospitals, research organizations, pharmaceutical, food, beverage and chemical industries. The WTO, international relations between countries and liberalization, privatization and globalization have created conducive atmosphere in the country to establish several industries. At the same time a plethora of job opportunities have been emanated for the formal graduates / post-graduates in the relevant fields. Therefore, this program is offered in the distance mode as a parallel to the programmes offered by conventional mode.
• To be a preeminence academic center imparting imperative microbiological skills and knowledge required for local, national and global scientific progress and societal requirements.
• To provide education to the learners to embrace the philosophy of learn, earn and return
• To excel and be recognized as a department that emphasizes outstanding education, cutting-edge research, and service.
• To create a conducive learning environment and student-friendly setting that enables students to attain academic achievement in all domains of Microbiology.
• To advance the scientific education and professional development of students, faculty,
and post-doctoral scientists, and to enhance the public's knowledge of the significance
of modern plant science research to society.
• To graduate students with solid problem-solving skills and knowledge.
• To provide an advanced learning of core principles and specialized knowledge in the field of Microbiology.
• To pursue an efficient and less expensive option to acquire or update knowledge in Microbiology for qualified and willing learners.
• To familiarize the students with necessary laboratory techniques and tools of microbiology and provide an exposure in research, analytical and presentational skills.
• To acquire competency by adopting advanced scientific methods and exposure in clinical, practical and other research skills.
• To train the learners with appropriate critical thinking and problem-solving skills and aptitude for taking up various microbiology related job opportunities.
• To introduce students to basic microbiological concepts and techniques so that they learn, practice and apply this knowledge/skill for their productive careers.
• To establish comprehensive fundamentals of the program to prepare them to advanced study in specialized microbiological and other interdisciplinary courses.
• To train the learners to be independent and creative to gain required competence for the competitive and ever changing job opportunities.
Expected Programme Outcomes
• To acquire, update, refresh, relearn and enrich the existing knowledge so as to produce outcomes of comparable quality with on-campus programs.
• To produce well qualified and competent human resources in the field of microbiology and allied subjects with classical and corporate responsibility.
• To empower multiple competencies and adding quality dimension to learner’s knowledge.
• To provide required workforce for research and development laboratories of hospitals, organizations, pharmaceutical & chemical industries, and teaching.
Chairperson : Dr. Niranjan Raj. S
Department Of micro biology